Friday, August 31, 2007

"You Are An Ironman"


Last weekend we went down to Louisville, Kentucky for the inaguaral Louisville Ironman Triathlon. We met our buds Joe and Kelly to watch Joe's sister and brother-in-law compete.
It was amazing. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run. The race began at 8:00 a.m . and the winner crossed the finish line at 3:38 p.m.. The course was officially closed a bit past midnight. Those who finished after the cutoff received no official time and the dreaded DNF ("did not finish"). Brutal...after being out on the course for over 17 hours and going the distance, still no medal or "finisher" t-shirt.

Watching the race was inspiring. I've done 2 short distance triathlons this summer and have caught the triathlon bug. I've committed to completing an Ironman before I turn 40. I'm doing a half-marathon this October and then next summer I plan on doing the full marathon. Possibly the summer after that I attempt the Ironman.

0 comments: